Sunday, September 21, 2008

No Blacks, No Asians, No Indians, No Fatties, No Shorties, No Fems, No Fags, No Jews, No Muslims. Looking Only For VGL SAG Tall White Guys.

How do you feel about the title of this post? Do you feel completely at ease with it because you've seen it over and over again. Maybe not as offensive as this but pretty close.

You'd think that as a minority that we would strive to be inclusive as possible because we already know what prejudice feels like. Some say that someone's preference of the race of their romantic partners is unchangeable. Just like how you know you are gay and don't like women. Therefore it is not racism; it's just how they are wired. Yes granted attraction by definition is indeed discriminatory. Most people are not able to be attracted to everyone and anyone. I am not only saying this as a gay Asian male, or GAM (shudder, clearly just turn me into an acronym so you can dehumanize me making it easier to dismiss me and discriminate against me. Why don't you just say no faggy chinks or how about one better; just call me an insurgent?) but as someone (shamefully and regretfully) who used to have these prejudices( A LONG LONG TIME AGO).

I once thought that I was only attracted to white men and that everyone else was excluded. Then one day I wondered why I thought this way. Especially against my own race? If that isn't self hate I don't know what is. Eventually I continued to mull it about in my mind and the more I thought about it the more ashamed I felt. I grew up always thinking that I had no prejudices and that I was open minded but clearly I wasn't and I am still not free of all prejudices. It is just human nature to try and expect what is to come next. I can't think of any prejudices that I have but I am sure that there must be something and to combat this I always question why I think or feel the way I do about everything. That's the best I can do. I think I used to think this way because I grew up in Canada and all the TV is American and hetero-normative and Caucasian centric. So I was used to what media told me what was beutiful ie straight white males. Basically I was white-washed.

Also I consider the fetishization of certain races at racist in some ways. One guy told me he was an Egg; meaning that he maybe be white on the outside he was yellow on the inside (THROWING UP). And that he had yellow fever. It's just objectifying a whole people when you talk about them that way.

So what's the point of this post. Well I don't want to sit here and tell people they MUST become attracted to Black people or Asian people or Fat people or Trans people or who ever; because attraction is very personal thing. I have no right to sit here and tell you that you are racist and that you are wrong for liking who you like. All that I ask is that if you exclude any group outright for any reason that you at least question why you feel that way and just to think about it and maybe going from "I don't date blanks." to "Let me meet them and I'll tell you if I like them.".

2 comments:

Discotheque GQ said...

I've always considered myself an equal opportunity fucker (I don't discriminate based on race). Guess since I'm bi, that also helps cause it would be guys AND girls too. Now their body type is a different story...

sleepyboy said...

discotheque gq: That's good to hear. Yeah body type is a big deal breaker too. I can only ask people to try to be open minded and try not to judge other people. And it seems like you are doing that. So good on you. :)